- Colleges & Courses
- Top Medical Colleges In India
Top medical colleges in India MBBS
As of 2016, there were about 420 medical colleges in India which are recognized by the Medical Council of India. These medical colleges in India have a combined capacity to provide medical education for 54,145 students. The Medical Council of India’s motto is to provide quality medical care to Indians by means of promoting excellence in medical education in India.
Towards promoting this end, the regulatory authority, the Medical Council of India inspects these institutes from time to time & recognizes institutes for specific courses.
About MBBS Course
The basic medical qualification obtained in Indian medical colleges is MBBS which is a four- and-a half- year followed by a one year of Compulsory Rotating Residential Internship (CRRI) . Candidates can follow up the MBBS course with a MS which is a post graduation course in surgical specialties or MD / DNB which are highly qualified P.G & Super specializations. Post graduate specializations are usually of 3 years duration & diploma postgraduate courses of 2 years duration.
Any candidate seeking admission to the top medical colleges in India needs to meet minimum qualifying criteria of 50% aggregate marks (40% for SC/ST students) in Physics, Chemistry, Biology & English as specified by the Medical Council of India.
MBBS Entrance exams:
There are various national & state level entrance exams conducted for admission in medical colleges in India. Some of the well known medical entrance exams are listed as below:
- 1. AIIMS: For the All lndia Institute of Medical Sciences ( AIIMS) entrance exams, New Delhi which was established in 1956, there are a total of 50 seats for which about 80,000 students compete from all over India.
- 2. NEET/ AIPMT: The CBSE board conducts the All India Pre Medical/ Pre- Dental Entrance Examination ( AIPMT) for 15% merit positions in medical & dental colleges all over India & consists of Prelims & Main exams.
- 3. COMED UGET: The Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka conducts the COMEDK for admission to undergraduate courses in the member institutions of the consortium.
Top 10 Medical colleges in Indias:
As per the India Today medical college ranking in india for the year 2015, the Top 10 Medical colleges in India
are as below:
- 1. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, (AIIMS) New Delhi: AIIMS created in 1956 is considered to be one of the best medical colleges in India which provides comprehensive facilities for teaching, research in 42 disciplines & also patient care services.
- 2. Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore: The century old Christian Medical College, Vellore (CMC) founded by the American missionary Ida S Scudder is one of the top medical colleges in India.
- 3. Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi: Named after Indian freedom fighter Maulana Abul Kalam Azad the Maulana Azad Medical College is a government medical college affiliated to University of Delhi.
- 4. Armed Forces Medical College, Pune: AFMC was set up in 1948 by an Act of Parliament to amalgamate various defense medical organizations, is affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences & is also recognized by the MCI for conducting various undergraduate & post graduate medial courses.
- 5. Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi: Affiliated to the University of Delhi since 1950, Lady Hardinge Medical College Delhi was established with the intention of pioneering medical education for female students in India; however since 1970 both male & female students are being enrolled for various post graduate courses.
- 6. University College of Medical Sciences & GTB Hospital, Delhi: Established in 1971, as part of University of Delhi, the college runs various medical & paramedical colleges.
- 7. Grant Medical College, Mumbai: Considered to be among the 10 best medical colleges in the country & a state government medical college, Grant Medical College & Sir JJ Group of Hospitals it is considered to be one of the premier & prestigious institutions in India.
- 8. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal: Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal established on June 30, 1953 by late Dr T.M.A Pai, who was the founder & builder of Manipal. Today, students from over 44 countries have graduated from KMC, its degrees are recognized worldwide & it is ranked among the top 5 medical colleges in the country today.
- 9. King George’s Medical University, Lucknow: Established in1911, the college has been a frontrunner among medical institutions in the country.
- 10. St Johns Medical College, Bangalore : St Johns was established in 1963 by the Catholic Bishops Conference of India & offers graduate, post graduate , diploma & super-specialty degrees recognized by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences ( RGUHS). Considered to be one of top medical colleges in India, it has 608 teaching & non teaching staff on its rolls & a total of 726 students pursuing various medical & paramedical courses.