CLAT Syllabus 2021
CLAT Exam 2021 has been released by the Consortium of National Law Universities(NLUs). CLAT syllabus is the first step of effective preparation for the Law entrance exam. Candidates are advised to go through the complete syllabus of CLAT 2021 thoroughly to score better marks in examinations.
CLAT contains the topics from which the questions are framed in the examination. CLAT helps the aspirant to identify which topic is important & which are not. This can improve efficiency & reduces the wastage of time. The consortium has also released section wise-questions asked & weightage. The topics can be prioritized and devise a strategy like focusing on the topic that carries more weightage that will improve the chances of a high score.
CLAT has 5 Important Sections
||Number of question
||Current Affairs including Gk
1. Syllabus for English Comprehension
In this section, proficiency in English is tested based on Grammar and Comprehension.
Candidates are evaluated based on their understanding of the passages, the central theme meanings of words used in passages.
The grammar section requires the correction of incorrect grammatical sentences.
- Passages of 450 words on contemporary, historically significant Fiction & non-fiction.
- It will take 5-7 minutes to read & comprehend
- Draw the difference out of interference & conclusion.
- Questions in this section will be of 12 class difficulty level
One good newspaper from these options
- 1.The Hindu
- 2. The Indian Time Express
- 3. The Hindustan Times
Apart from all this, candidates should also read magazines like Yojana, Kurukshetra & others.
2. Syllabus for Current Affairs including G.K
Important Topics for CLAT
- National & International current affairs.
- Complementary Events of significance in India & around the world.
- G.k about world leaders, Industrialized, Celebrities, lawyers.
- Art & culture of India and world.
- Historical events of continuing significance.
Skills Tested in current affairs
- Questions will be examined on the legal knowledge discussed in the passages.
- The passages will be taken from news journalistic resources, and other non-fiction writings.
- You will be expected to demonstrate Law awareness related to Arts, culture, History.
- However, Candidates must be able to comprehend what is mentioned in passages.
- Analyze the point mentioned inside, connect all dots to arrive at the logical conclusion.
3. Legal Reasoning
For this section, candidates do not need to have any prior knowledge of the law, however, they need to be aware of all contemporary legal & moral issues.
Important Topic to be covered
- Facts, situation, or outline on legal matters, public policy & moral philosophical inquiries
- Moral awareness
- General & legal issues
- Legal term condition & their meanings.
- Recognized argument, its premises and conclusion
- Analyze the pattern of reasoning.
- Interfere, draw relationships and analogies.
- Contradiction and equivalences
- Candidates will be required to derive the facts or scenarios involving legal matters & public policy questions, moral-philosophical queries.
4. Logical Reasoning
Logical reasoning section consists of passages which have 300 long words with objective type questions, based on relationship, analogies, logical sequences,& arguments.
The candidate will be required to critically analyze the argument pattern, and conclude the arguments
- It carries 20% weightage with 28-32 marks
- Four to five comprehension passages
- Analysis of recognized arguments
- Its premises & conclusion
- Analysis of the pattern of reasoning, make inferences
- Draw relation & analogies
- Contradiction & equivalences
5. Quantitative Technique
The quantitative section will be of 10th class level. Questions will be short sets of facts, graphs, textual propositions, diagrammatic representation of numerical information.
Topic to be covered
- Basic algebra
- Profit & loss
- Ratio & proposition
- Statistical estimation
- Read & understand legal issues given in the passages.
- Awareness of legal issues, facts, legal aspects, and knowledge.
- Awareness of the judgments or statutes based on a passage
- Summarizing the passage with knowledge of the law.
Books for CLAT Preparation:
General knowledge & current affairs
- 1) Competition review book (2019-20)
- 2) Manorama yearbook (2019-20)
- 3) Lucent's general knowledge of English
- 4) Pearson’s concise GKmanual
- 5) Pratiyogita darpan.
- 1) Verbal & non-verbal reasoning by RS Agarwal.
- 2) The pearson's guide to clat English
- 3) Objective General English by Author RS Agarwal
- 4) High school English grammar by Author Normen lewis
- 5) Grammar & composition by Author PC Wern,& H.Martin
- 1) Class 10th NCERT
- 2) S CHANDAN 30 days Wonder math
- 1) A modern approach to logical reasoning by Author RS Agarwal.
- 2) Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
- 3) Quantitative aptitude ebook by RS Agarwal
- 4) 501 challenging logical reasoning practice book
- 1. Legal awareness & logical reasoning by CLAT modules
- 2. LST’S legal reasoning modules.
As there is limited time for preparation, plan your schedule carefully, if it is difficult to prepare those subjects, here are important tips & tricks to cover all topics which are necessary for preparation.
- UN bodies (GK)
- Important awards(Current affairs)
- Legal, criminal recent issues( legal app)
- Direction & blood relation question(logical reasoning)
- Ratio,Proportion,Percentage (Mathematics)