- Colleges & Courses
- Top Medical Colleges In India
Best Medical Colleges in India
As of 2017, there are 460 medical colleges in India where qualifications are recognized by the Medical Council of India these medical schools have a combined capacity to provide Medical education for 63,985 students. The Medical Council of India's motto is to provide quality medical care to all Indians through promotion and maintenance of excellence in medical education. Its website maintains an up-to-date list.
About MBBS Course:
The MBBS is a 5.5 year (4.5 years academic education + 1 year mandatory internship) UG degree programme leading to the two degrees as Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
The students, who have cleared the 10+2 examination and they had the Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 12th stream, may go for the MBBS degree course.
To get admission into MBBS programme in India, students have to complete their 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry & Biology and score minimum 50% marks (40% in the case of reserved category).
The given qualification is not enough to get admission into MBBS course, students have to appear for the National Level Examination conducted by the CBSE, New Delhi, i.e. NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test).
Now, All the admissions into MBBS go through NEET Exam.
Top 10 Medical colleges in India
As per the India Today medical college ranking in india for the year 2018, the Top 10 Medical colleges in India
are as below:
- 1. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, (AIIMS) New Delhi: AIIMS created in 1956 is considered to be one of the best medical colleges in India which provides comprehensive facilities for teaching, research in 42 disciplines & also patient care services.
- 2. Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore: The century old Christian Medical College, Vellore (CMC) founded by the American missionary Ida S Scudder is one of the top medical colleges in India.
- 3. Armed Forces Medical College, Pune: AFMC was set up in 1948 by an Act of Parliament to amalgamate various defense medical organizations, is affiliated to Maharashtra University of Health Sciences & is also recognized by the MCI for conducting various undergraduate & post graduate medial courses.
- 4. Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi: Named after Indian freedom fighter Maulana Abul Kalam Azad the Maulana Azad Medical College is a government medical college affiliated to University of Delhi.
- 5. Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi: Affiliated to the University of Delhi since 1950, Lady Hardinge Medical College Delhi was established with the intention of pioneering medical education for female students in India; however since 1970 both male & female students are being enrolled for various post graduate courses.
- 6. University College of Medical Sciences & GTB Hospital, Delhi: Established in 1971, as part of University of Delhi, the college runs various medical & paramedical colleges.
- 7. Grant Medical College, Mumbai: Considered to be among the 10 best medical colleges in the country & a state government medical college, Grant Medical College & Sir JJ Group of Hospitals it is considered to be one of the premier & prestigious institutions in India.
- 8. Kasturba Medical College, Manipal: Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal established on June 30, 1953 by late Dr T.M.A Pai, who was the founder & builder of Manipal. Today, students from over 44 countries have graduated from KMC, its degrees are recognized worldwide & it is ranked among the top 5 medical colleges in the country today.
- 9. King George’s Medical University, Lucknow: Established in1911, the college has been a frontrunner among medical institutions in the country.
- 10. St Johns Medical College, Bangalore : St Johns was established in 1963 by the Catholic Bishops Conference of India & offers graduate, post graduate , diploma & super-specialty degrees recognized by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences ( RGUHS). Considered to be one of top medical colleges in India, it has 608 teaching & non teaching staff on its rolls & a total of 726 students pursuing various medical & paramedical courses.