Admission Process in Dental Colleges
Dental College Admission is simple and effortless. However, the top dental colleges in Bangalore have a separate admission council that takes care of all admission-related matters and follows the rules and guidelines provided by the Dental Council of India (DCI).
The admissions are generally based on merit and the performance of the applicants in the previous qualifying examinations and entrance tests conducted by the State Government. There are a set of norms that are to be satisfied by the candidates to join undergraduate, post graduate, diploma and doctoral programs offered by dental colleges in Bangalore.
Eligibility Criteria for UG Course
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS):
- Candidates must have completed their class 12 / 2nd PUC / 10 + 2 level education from a recognized University or Board
- The applicants should have studied Physics, Chemistry and Biology / Biochemistry as compulsory subjects and English as a regular language of study.
- The score in the above-mentioned qualifying examination should be not less than 50% when Physics, Chemistry and Biology / Biochemistry took together.
- However, the colleges provide a relaxation of 10% in the score for the students who belong to SC / ST / OBC and other reserved categories.
- The candidates should also have a qualifying score in the National Entrance cum Eligibility Test (NEET).
Eligibility Norms for PG Dental College Courses
Master of Dental Surgery (MDS):
- To qualify for MDS, the candidate must have completed his / her Bachelor’s degree in Dental Science from any college or university recognized by the Dental Council of India.
- The candidate must have secured a minimum score of 50% in the above-mentioned exam. However, a 10% relaxation on the score is permitted for SC / ST / OBC candidates.
- Candidates who have completed a PG Diploma from any college affiliated with the Dental Council of India are also eligible to apply for MDS.
- Most colleges consider the one-year internship program as an important criterion for admission to MDS.
- Candidates seeking admission to Dental College Courses at the Master’s level should possess a valid score in the entrance examination conducted by the state government.
Prerequisites for Diploma Program in Dental Sciences:
- Candidates who possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Surgery or Medicine and surgery (i.e. BDS or MBBS) are eligible to apply for a PG Diploma program in Dental Sciences.
- Candidates must have a qualifying rank in the National Entrance cum Eligibility Test (NEET).
Eligibility for Doctoral Programs
Philosophical Degree (Ph. D.):
- Candidates who have completed their Master’s Degree with any one of the specialties in Dental Sciences are eligible for this program.
- The admissions to this program are generally merit-based. However, it is mandatory for the students to get a qualifying score in the entrance examination conducted by the college.
Admission to any of the above-mentioned courses in Dental Surgery is purely based on the eligibility rules formulated by the dental council of India. It does not have any barriers of caste, creed, race, religion and gender of the applicants. The dental colleges in Bangalore have a fine blend of a variety of students including entities from various parts of Karnataka, different states of India and abroad.